Thursday, October 15, 2009

That's nonfiction? Really?

Yesterday in my TE 348 class, we discussed nonfiction. Of course, I immediately started to dread this discussion. Ever since I was a kid, I hated nonfiction. Every nonfiction book I read, or was forced to read, was too boring. I don't want all of the facts. I want creativity and imagination. I wanted to read what the dog said to the cat, or what happened when the school bus shrank. I didn't care how a certain conversation played out in a war, I was a kid! So, as I grew older I never gave nonfiction a chance. I always thought of it as the boring and bland books that were simply facts. Yet, after class yesterday, I realized that I actually didn't mind nonfiction!

The Magic School Bus is classified as nonfiction! I was shocked. I guess I should have assumed, it is very educational. But the whole shrinking school bus to go into a human body through me off I guess. It seemed that it may have some weird classification since it is a mixture. Yet, the book says it was nonfiction, it just had some fiction ideas. Which, after the discussion it all makes sense.

I guess the thing for me, was how nonfiction was presented to me in my first interaction. My first presentation of nonfiction was that it was strictly facts. It couldn't be a creative or elaborate story, it was simply hard facts. Boring, right? I was immediately turned off and everytime I heard the word nonfiction I cringed. Also, growing up it seems that when I was presented with nonfiction in school, it was the boring kind. The type that was page after page of straight facts that wasa chore to read. The only time I was presented with something interesting was at home, because I was able to choose what to read. If my teachers would have made nonfiction seem more interesting, maybe I would have a want to read it now. But now, I am stuck in this idea of nonfiction being boring facts.

Ultimately, this got me thinking of how to present nonfiction when I am a teacher. I am without a doubt going to do everything in my power to make it interesting and fun. I don't want my students to be biased just because I am. I also don't want them to be biased because I don't present the material in a good way. I want to open their eyes at a younger age of all of the possibilities of nonfiction. It doesn't have to be all facts. It can be a creative story that has facts embedded them. I want them to see that nonfiction can be creative. It can consist of fake characters or events that are not possible. As long as the sole information is truthful. I don't want them to go through school thinking that nonfiction is boring. I don't want them to turn out like me, and only read nonfiction when it is required for class. Nonfiction books offer so many opportunities for children, and I need my students to be in reach of those opportunities. Ultimately, I hope to show my future students that nonfiction can be fun to read, and shouldn't be a genre that they avoid!

2 comments:

  1. I think this is a very interesting topic and I remember talking to you about this earlier in the week! We both never thought the Magic School Bus was nonfiction. It does provide you with a bunch of facts but as a kid I focused more on the shrinking bus as well. I too want to make teaching nonfiction fun and interesting. I want to be able to provide all the facts without putting the kids to sleep. Because I know as a kid that nonfiction was my least favorite genre to learn about. So I hope that I can think of ways for my students to enjoy learning about genres such as nonfiction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I think it is a pretty interesting idea. Nonfiction seems to be a bore to a lot of people that I talk to, yet this book says all kids love it. Kind of a stretch to say all kids I think. I think most kids would like it because kids are curious and want to learn certain facts. Yet, it has to be presented in the right way. Hopefully we both can accomplish this in our teaching careers!

    ReplyDelete