Friday, October 16, 2009

Google Docs

When I first read this weeks assignment, I questioned what google docs was. I assumed some prgoram that I would simply use to complete this weeks assignment and forget about. Much to my surprise, it is actually something I see myself using in the future. I really feel like if google docs becomes more popular, microsoft office may have to watch out! Google docs offers very similar programs, and there are quite a few advantages.

First, it is all free! What a surprise and relief. It's hard to believe that these programs are free! I mean, I paid over $100 for microsoft office for my macbook, yet google docs offers almost the exact same thing for no charge at all. Now that is what every college student wants to hear! It's almost shocking that something like this is free, when it offers so many programs and utilities.
Second, it is available from virtually anywhere. Last night, I was working on my resume, when I got way too tired. I went to bed and gave up on editing. Yet today, here I am, right where I left off and I'm editing at work without saving to a disk or emailing it to myself. It was so nice not having to hassle to find my USB or e-mail the document myself. It seems it saved a lot of time and frustration. Especially since it automatically saves periodically. It allows for almost no way of losing your work, and allows for easy access anywhere.
Third, you can save your work for others to access and edit. Too, this is genius. I am always wanting someone to read over and edit my paper, but I always seem to have to bring it to them or e-mail it. Through google docs they can simply sign in and view my work. This is also amazing for group projects. I don't know how much I can express my hate for group projects in college. With everyone having different class and work schedules, it is always so hard to find a time to meet. With google docs, one powerpoint presentation can be available to the whole group. Everyone can get on, review what others have done and even add to it themselves. What a life saver! This is going to be very sueful for my next class project. I no longer need to worry about where and when my group is going to be able to meet!

As far as classrom use goes in my future teaching career, I think the possibilites are endless. First off, like I've noted, it is great for editing. This is someting I feel really important to learn at a young age. Editing is crucial to papers and other work, so students should jump right into the idea. They need to be able to know how to edit. Too look for grammatical mistakes, incorrect sentence structure, and others. Not only is the editing process important, but also the allowing of editing is important. Too many students submit work without a run through (guilty!). It is important to teach them that although they may not want too, it is only beneficial to them to allow others to look at their work. This process can point out their mistakes so maybe they will learn. It can help them to improve on their writing and editing skills, which will only be beneficial in the long run.Also, this allows for various forms of programs to be used at no cost. It can allow for a variety of projects in the classroom, so it is not always boring worksheets. Since it is free, it allows students to creat cool powerpoint projects at home or in a library, where they can be creative. It can allow students to create their own presentations, and post for others to see. It is not something that students will have to pay for, which is what a lot of parents are concerned about. Another use for the classroom, is group projects, like I stated for college use. It allows for group projects incorporating technology to start at a younger age. This give students the opportunity to work together on a project, and even add too it outside of school.Google docs also allows for the teacher, myself, to review work as students post it. It can allow for immediate feedback to the students so they can improve their work. Teachers can review the work and give a quick response. This can give students the opportunity to improve their work before it is actually submitted. This allows for improvement of mistakes, and a better grade, which is the ultimate goal. Google docs also is very important in the technology factor. It is a very basic program that can be put in use at a younger age, for free. It introduces students to technology, and it is not too difficult to grasp. It is a great introduction to the world of technology, which is an idea that needs to be learned as soon as possible. It shows them how to scces the internet, make presentations online, type, submit work, look through other peoples work, edit online, and create spreadsheets. It incorporates technology ideas that are very basic and need to be realized at a young age.

After all of these advantages of google docs, there are always drawbacks. One thing I had a problem with was formating. While constructing my resume, I had an extremely difficult time with formating in the document section of google docs. I struggled for a long time trying to fix every detail. Still to this day I cannot make it work. It seems like it is a waste of time trying to figure out all of the formating issues, and it just leaves me feeling frusturated. Although I feel the urge to give up, I know with all of the advantages of google docs, I should learn how to use it properly.Also, I feel that people are going to become too reliable on the system. I don't think it should take over in any way. I still think pencil and paper technique should be used. Technology isn't always reliable, and sometimes it is a struggle to work with, so I think everyone should keep that in mind.

Overall, I am a fan of google docs and am looking forward to taking advantage of what it has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment