Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Burning, Banning, What's the Difference?


Recently, I read a blog that I follow about the banning of books, and now websites. It really caught my attention because it compared the idea with burning books. A quote from the website says "web filtering is book burning. The goal is to use your power to prevent those you control from accessing information." I honestly had never thought of it that way, I just seen it as mere censorship, not that I agreed with it, but that I didn't see it to such an extent. The blog's main idea is that people see burning books as a really horrible idea, but banning books is simply needed. Teachers and administration are just trying to "protect" young children from inappropriate information, and the way to do that is just to block these ideas from the classroom. After reading this blog, I am not sure where I stand.

I can probably say that I am leaning more towards not banning books or websites. I can see why people would want them to be censored though. There is plenty of information that seems way inappropriate for say a 6 year old. This information my be one of those ideas that get's banned. Fro example, I find it hard for a 6 year old to understand concepts and ideas of racism, when they are trying to learn to read a sentence. IT just doesn't seem probable that they will fully understand or grasp the concepts. They would probably just be more confused than ever and form many misconceptions. These can alter how they see different races at a young age, started off on the wrong foot.

Yet, do I believe that the idea as a whole should be banned? No. I think (as the blog explains also) that our job as teachers is to find the medium between banning and discussion. Our job is not to hinder these kids of learning new concepts, but allow them the opportunity to look into it. We need to be there to make sure they stay within context. Challenging their misconceptions can help them from more accurate ones. I still think there may be "too young of an age" to openly discuss certain things such as race, sex, and such, because they won't understand. Yet, it should not be fully banned. I believe that each idea can be presented to different grade levels, in the right context. It is obvious that a middle school class will have more in depth understanding of race than 1st graders, but the idea still should be presented. The 1st grade class may just have to stay at a general level where they discuss what race is maybe. Whereas the middle school can discuss racism, and it's effects.

Overall, I understand where both sides are coming form. I think it is up to the teachers to make a stand and say no to the banning of books. We have the power to presenting all ideas and concepts in any way we deem necessary. Is it because teachers will feel uncomfortable with presenting certain ideas to students? OR is it because the parents say so? To me, it is a little of both. But I feel it needs to end. Teachers can present material in a manner to allow kids to analyze and guide their misinterpretations. It will take a lot more effort on the teachers part, but I think it is necessary so that we are not censoring ideas that run society. The concepts that are being banned are everyday issues that need to be face. Even some of the students may be going through the idea! For example if we simple ban the idea of talking about homosexuality, the students who may be homosexual may feel inferior. If their lifestyle isn't allowed in schools, are they allowed to feel the way they feel? It is also on the parents. They need to understand that their are certain issues that they can't hide their kids from forever. THere comes a point where we all need to learn the realities of life whether we are ready or not.

I will say that if it will make parents, teachers, and the community feel better, a letter could be sent home by the teachers. It could explain when certain issues were going to be brought up. This way parents could possibly talk to their children before hand if they would like to be the ones to explain ceratin things. It could also allow parents to ask questions, and if they really feel it isn't necesarry something could be worked out.

ALl in all, I think banning of books and burning of books are basically equal: they both don't allow ideas to be expressed. Hopefully I am not the only one that feels this way!


Read the blog here!
Picture from: http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/books/article4170944.ece

2 comments:

  1. I am leaning towards books not being banned as well. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and everyone has the right to voice that opinion. I do agree that things do need to be censored. There are a lot of websites and books not appropriate for children of young ages and I will be worried when I become a parent that my kids will be introduced to those websites and books. I agree that banning of books and burning of books are about the same thing because either way, opinions are not being allowed publicity and people are being deprived of reading other people's thoughts on a matter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, I mean we can't really say that no material should be censored. Let's be honest there are some books and articles that are certainly not suitable for Pre-schoolers. And I agree, as a future parent I can see myself getting worried that the kids will be exposed to information that they are not ready for. Yet, some materials need to be exposed and allowed. Just because someone doesn't agree, doesn't make it ok to ban it. Everyone should be a little more open minded and realize that students are going to come across certain information whether they like it or not. Would it not be better for a teacher to be there to clear any confusion or problems?

    ReplyDelete