Thursday, October 1, 2009

Twitter Thoughts

After using twitter for a couple of weeks now, I can't say my feelings have really changed about it. I still don't see it as something that I feel worthwhile to keep up with. Kind of harsh, but I think when comparred to things such as a blogging, it just doesn't keep up. Maybe this is due to the idea that I haven't given it as big of a chance as I have blogging. I don't find myself wanting to really "tweet" or even check what other people have tweeted. It could because I have this preconceived notion that it is somewhat pointless. Maybe it just isn't my thing?

Yet, I think if I were into it and I found it something I kept up with, it could be something considered useful in the classroom. When I do get on, I see that people have posted links to certain articles or blogs that they find interesting. This is pretty cool to be able to share these resources, so that others that follow, may be able to receive that knowledge too. I am not sure how it could be incorporated for say elementary students though. I feel that they may struggle with what to tweet about and such, maybe it's just because I'm struggling! The one thing I could see for elementary is maybe as a source for discussion or questions and answers page. Students could get on and ask homework questions and the teacher could facilitate this. But I feel there are better websites for this. Maybe it could be something where every week the students have to get on and write a tweet on what they felt was the most important topic in a certain subject. It could be a source for teachers to see what students are taking away from the assignments and reading. Although these may be some alright ideas, I feel that twitter isn't the best website that could be used.

As far as professionally and communication, I feel that twitter is much more appropriate than for say the classroom. Professionals can put up sources of information, meeting information, or any other announcements that they want their followers to see. (which I suppose teachers could do too, but I don't see how kids twittering themselves would tie into this). It also is a great way for communication if you have friends or family that use it. It is an easy way to get in a little announcement about your life or what your up too. This is what I see as it's main purpose, simply a status update. I can see how it could be used as more, I guess I just don't know how.

As far as drawbacks, I feel that it may be a tool that a lot of people, including myself, don't know how to properly use. Everyone is so use to facebook, so it seems like it is just a status update. I always try to update it, but I never have anything to say. All that comes to mind is what i'm doing or how i'm feeling. I feel that most people would probably think the same thing. I think with a little more direction and resources people could figure out the potential that it actually has.

So overall, I guess you could say I have a lot of bad ideas about twitter. But I really feel it's because I am not sure what to do on it! I see people post posts with websites and such, I guess I am just not very resourceful. I know if I gave it a chance this blog would have a whole different feeling, but for now i'm stuck. Any ideas and suggestions?!?

4 comments:

  1. Well put! I am in your same boat! I think it is a bit obnoxious to see the amount of people that just go on to update their current state: I am happy, I am in line at Starbucks, I am sitting on the couch...etc (WHO CARES!!) But I do think it is neat when others post links to helpful, fun, or interesting websites or answers to questions/help with homework, etc...these are effective ways of using twitter, which make it worth while to check.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, like I said, maybe I'm just not being resourceful enough with it myself. I like to check articles and websites other people post, and even intersting information that other people tweet. Yet, I can't seem to find something to tweet about myself! Hopefully I give it a little bit more time and it will grow on me and I will figure out how to use it so it actually serves a purpose!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jamie! I feel the same way...I think my problem is that I can't seem to FIND these educational "Tweets". Obviously, when people from our class or Greg post links and such I'll check them out...but I just can't seem to figure out how to find those on my own. And have you figured out the lingo?? I'm sorry, but I just can't get past all the abbreviations...haha, I can't even figure out what people are saying half the time!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The abbreviations are so confusing, I agree. Sometimes I try to piece it together without the abbreviations, which never works! haha
    I also can't find any educational tweets, I am mostly an explorer on twitter, looking at what other people have posted, which I do have to admit is helpful. But as far as myself being a committed poster with resourceful information; there's not a big chance! ha

    ReplyDelete