Thursday, October 8, 2009


Looking through my RSS feed, I came across a blog that I am follow that I had forgotten (oops!). Much to my surprise it is a really interesting blog, how could I have forgot!? It is not interesting because of discussion, but it is interesting because it offers different free technology for teachers. It gives websites and programs that are free for teachers to use, and tells how to incorporate them. Pretty cool right? Looking through it I found a lot of different sites that seemed pretty interesting and made be pretty useful. For example one is a witty comics website. It allows students to make their own comics! I thought this would be pretty cool, and very fun, for younger elementary students. I know when I was that age creative ideas like this really engaged me and I learned more. A teacher could use this with their students to learn about story telling. The students would have to make up a plot, a climax, a setting, and such, and it would be way more entertaining than a simple paper. It also allows a certain number of frames, so the students would learn to be concise with their wording. Going through the blog a little more, I found a website that I could see being really useful for not only when I become a teacher, but for something I could use now! It's called Brain Flips and it's an online collection of flashcards that people have made. So you can use others flashcards about the topics to teach your lesson. Yet, you can also make your own flashcards! I make so many flashcards right now for my classes, and I hate writing them out! It is such a long process and such a waste of note cards since you only use them once, maybe twice. This website would allow me to type my flashcards so it doesn't take as long. It can also save in the system so that I don't have to waste note cards in the process. I can simply log in to the website and go to my flashcards. I think this would be really unique as a teacher since some students learn really well through flashcards. The teacher could make a set of cards for the whole class to use, that they can go over in class at maybe a computer lab. the students would get excited that they get to get on the computer, so they wouldn't look at it as a boring flashcard method. Also, the program allows you to track which ones you got wrong, so that you can set it in a different mode, where those cards appear in a greater frequency than the rest. That way the student looks at these cards more so they are able to learn it.

Overall, I love this blog! It has so many great resources and gives so many tips and ideas on how to use them! I am excited not only to look for what I can find for when I am a teacher, but anything I can use now! If it works for me as a student now, then I am sure it will work for at least a couple students in my future classroom!

Explore the Blog here!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for review of my blog. I hope you continue to find it to be helpful as progress through your education and into the teaching profession.

    All the best,
    Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like the blog that you found! The personalized comic strips and flashcards would/will be very useful in the classroom. The idea that you came up with when using the comic strips and having the students tell a story was a very good idea! I am definitely adding this blog to my RSS feed because it is very helpful and will be something to look at when preparing lessons for our own classrooms. Good find Jamie and thank you for making a blog about it because I am looking forward to getting ideas from it in the future! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all of the useful information Richard! It really will be something I find useful. I hope to incorporate a lot of technology that you post in my future classroom, and in my courses now!

    Breanne: I hope you enjoy it as much as I do! It really does have a lot of useful information. There are so many useful technological resources that it's hard to choose what to look into!

    ReplyDelete